Buildup can be the result of many things, such as residue left behind by shampoos and styling products, mineral deposits from hard water, oil secreted from the scalp, and dead skin cells. All of these things can cause buildup on the hair and scalp, and should be removed on a regular basis for optimum scalp and hair health. If too much buildup accumulates, the hair follicles may become clogged, and this can potentially lead to premature hair loss.
The best way to remove buildup is by using a deep-cleansing shampoo. These shampoos are known as clarifying shampoos, and they help strip away buildup from the hair and scalp. Clarifying shampoos should be used no more than once a week if you color your hair, because they are strong enough to strip artificial dye. However, if used once per week, even those with color-treated hair can use a clarifying shampoo.
Here are the five best clarifying shampoos money can buy, based on their ability to remove buildup while protecting hair color.
1. Alterna Life Solutions Clarifying Shampoo. This sulfate-free shampoo effectively removes mineral deposits and chlorine from the hair, as well as dirt, pollutants, and other forms of buildup. Contains UVA and UVB blockers, making it perfect for those who love the beach and being out in the sun.
2. Philip B. Peppermint Avocado Shampoo. This shampoo is like two products in one. It volumizes the hair, while gently removing even the most stubborn buildup. Peppermint helps relieve itching and invigorates the senses.
3. CHI Clean Start Shampoo. Formulated with ceramic, this unique shampoo not only detoxifies the hair and removes buildup but also prepares the hair for chemical services. Used before color, it minimizes chemical damage and ensures better haircolor and perm results.
4. Nexxus Aloe Rid. This is one of the true classics and has been around for well over a decade, which proves that it works. Aloe vera and antioxidants nourish the hair while gently removing impurities, mineral deposits, and chlorine. This product is a legend and a favorite among millions of hairstylists all over the world.
5. Zerran Initiate Shampoo. This hard-to-find product is made by a small California company which makes some of the best darn haircare products in the world. Enriched with a multitude of botanical ingredients, Initiate does the job of harsher shampoos with a much healthier result.
If buildup is bogging you down or gunking up your life, you cannot go wrong with any of the above-mentioned products.